Allan Walton (1891-1948) was a painter and designer of interiors and fabrics, and a teacher. He was born in Cheshire, and his family owned the Manchester cotton mill John Walton of Colleyhurst, enabling him to attend Harrow School. He abandoned studies in an architect’s office to learn to paint under Stanhope Forbes, in Cornwall, and from 1913-16 was at the Slade School of Fine Art and in Paris at L’Académie de la Grande Chaumière.
After the first world war he studied with Walter Sickert at the Westminster School of Art in London, and later began to exhibit and set up as an interior designer. He exhibited regularly thereafter and in 1943 was appointed director of The Glasgow School of Art, then in 1948 as professor of textile design at The Royal College of Art. As a painter Walton was an exuberant colourist, depicting his still lifes, landscapes and seascapes with bold brushstrokes.
the above text appears on the back of the card HC-1316: card size 7" x 5" (178mm x 127mm)