image courtesy of Llyfrgell Genedlaethol Cymru/The National Library of Wales
Christopher Williams (1873-1934) was born in Maesteg, Wales. He studied first in Neath at the town's Technical Institute and then spent three years at the Royal College of Art followed by the Royal Academy Schools, where he studied under Sargent and Clausen. In 1911, Williams received a commission from King George V to work on a commemorative painting of the Investiture of Edward, Prince of Wales at Caernarfon Castle. As well as attending the ceremony, he visited Buckingham Palace, where the Royal Family sat for him in order to complete the detail of the picture.
In the post-war years and until his death, Williams did much to stimulate an interest in art in Wales and was a frequent adjudicator at the National Eisteddfod, a member of the Arts Committee of the National Museum of Wales and of the Council of the Honourable Society of Cymmrodorion.
the above text appears on the back of the card HC-1201: card size 7" x 5" (178mm x 127mm)